Whether you have kids or you are a kid at heart, these delicious, healthy fruit snacks are a must try! There’s something so addictive about fruit snacks, they’re convenient, tasty, and both kids and adults love them. The problem with commercial fruit snacks is that they’re loaded with corn syrup, refined sugar, “natural and artificial flavors” (which is typically code for MSG, aspartame, or other not good for you ingredients), and food dyes like Red 40, Yellow 5, and Blue 1. Even the so called “healthy” or “natural” fruit snacks will typically have some of these ingredients in them. None of which equate to anything remotely resembling a healthy snack for you or your child. So if you’ve decided to ditch the unhealthy fruit snacks, but are craving a gummy snack, then try these out and you won’t be disappointed!
These fruit snacks contain gelatin from grass-fed cows. I recently jumped on the gelatin bandwagon as a last resort to help my overly sensitive digestive system. Since adding gelatin to my smoothies, or taking shots of it mixed with water (not my favorite way to consume it) I have noticed a significant decrease in the amount of times my stomach feels horrible after eating anything. There’s also a ton of other benefits that gelatin can offer, see below for more info!
- 1.5 cups of fresh or frozen fruit of your choice (I used blueberries and strawberries)
- 5 Tablespoons raw, organic honey
- 5 Tablespoons gelatin from grass fed cows (we’re not talking Jello brand gelatin here)
- If using frozen fruit, allow the fruit to thaw to where it is soft
- Combine all ingredients in a blender or food processor
- Mix until well combined
- Pour ingredients into a small pot and heat on low heat for 2-3 minutes
- Pour liquid into molds or on a parchment paper lined pan
- Place in the freezer for 10 minutes
- Pop them out of the molds or if you used a parchment lined pan, allow to soften slightly and then cut into bite sized pieces
- Store in the refrigerator to keep fresh
Benefits of Gelatin from Grass-Fed Cows
Gelatin is a water-soluble protein that is prepared from the collagen found in the bones and ligaments of animals. If you’re a vegetarian and vegan, this post is not for you! I know that doesn’t sound like the most appetizing thing, but if we eat the muscle and fat of animals, why not this? Gelatin is a great source of protein, minerals, and amino acids and it has a ton of health and beauty benefits.
- Helps heal the gut lining and aids in digestion
- Aids the liver in detoxification
- Strengthens bones and joints
- Helps prevent stretch marks and smooths the skin
- Can aid in weight loss as it keeps you feeling fuller for longer
- Helps your hair and nails grow stronger